Ceremonial Cacao is a medicinal plant used by various cultures for thousands of years. As with any plant or plant extract with powerful healing properties, cacao must be shown respect and treated as the sacred earth medicine that it is.
Cacao (Ka-Cow))is NOT mind or body-altering nor is it a drug of any kind. It is plant medicine and simply the purest form of chocolate that has not had the fats, nutrients, and healing elements stripped out through processing and heat.
Ceremonial Grade Cacao (not what is found in the store or Costco) provides a subtle sensation of heart expansion, clearing your mind, feeling in flow, and activating your senses. I personally experience an amazing sense of peace, calm, and clarity come through me but I also consciously set up myself and my space to experience that.
If we are not present to the cacao & her medicine we cannot ask her to be present to us.
Effects can linger a couple of days as well. Some may not “feel” much or anything and that is normal. You are still receiving the healing and heart-opening properties of it.
Do your own research on the incredible health benefits of cacao. This is a modest recommended dose of ceremonial grade cacao, especially if you are new to it, but check with your doctor if you are:
- Taking antidepressants
- Taking hypertension medication
- Have a Heart Condition
- If you are Pregnant
- Lethal to Horses, Parrots, and Cats
Naked Chocolate by David Wolfe is a great resource. Get a used copy for cheap!
Enjoy your experience and sacredness of the time.
When entering into your cacao ceremony and ritual it is important to take care of yourself the day of with nutrition, hydration, and emotional hygiene. Do what feels healthiest to you to honor your body and spirit before consumption.
- Have a journal and pen if you like to note thoughts that may come through you about your time in the ceremony as well as journaling
- Be hydrated on water. Drink plenty of water prior to, during, and after the ceremony
- Cacao contains caffeine as it is the purest version of chocolate. Avoid caffeinated coffee, sodas, high sugars, and high-carb foods several hours prior to consumption
- This is also great for clearing out the digestion system (if you know what I mean!)
- Cacao (Ka-Cow) is NOT Cocoa (sweet hot chocolate). Cacao is the raw, unprocessed version of cocoa, before the processing. This is not a sweet hot drink but I have provided my own special recipe that I have heard is quite special…and I agree!
- Eat light & healthy 3 or more hours prior to the ceremony. Do not consume on a full stomach. This will allow the cacao to absorb more fully and not dampen the heart-opening effects
- Enjoy a light, nourishing, healthy meal or snack after. Food and Goddess are love after all and honoring the body after cacao consumption is an act of love for yourself
~ Intention in ceremony is essential. Always have an intention in mind and be clear about what you are asking to receive in, release out, or get clarity on
- Create a space that feels sacred calm and nourishing. I have provided some ideas on how I do mine.
- Enjoy a nice warm bath or shower before. Consider anointing your body with some essential oils and coconut oil after as a lovely and nurturing way to anchor into your experience
- Choose music that feels calming & will anchor you into the experience
- Light Candles or build a fire outside if you have a pit
- Wear comfy clothes, fluffy socks, and have a nice blanket handy. A fur or faux fur rug is always lovely to sit on
- Do some calm breathing while sitting lotus style with hands on heart, lap, or in a mudra, This helps to relax the nervous system and activates the effects of the cacao to enjoy the sacred heart-opening experience you have created for yourself
- Movements such as light dancing and stretching are also very helpful and anchoring as well. Get that blood flowing and the cells of your body pumping
In a small saucepan slowly stir & melt the Cacao on very low heat. You do not want this to be hot as this is not a hot drink. Heating higher than 140 degrees decreases the heart-opening properties and all the amazing nutritional components.
- Add 4 ounces of plant or nut-based milk of your choice and mix well with melted cacao (I prefer coconut but almond, soy, oat cashew etc is great) You can use Coconut water or even plain water (which is what most group cacao ceremony facilitators use to cut down on their cost but it mirrors in a less than robust, rich and creamy flavor and for me, it dilutes the experience.) I am just not a fan of using water.
- Pinch of Cayenne or Chili Powder (opens blood flow to assimilate the cacao quicker into your body so it is an important element to add)
- Sweetener of Choice; optional (Monk Fruit is my choice but you can use Agave, Pure Maple Syrup, these are most preferred over granulated sugar). Many facilitators do not use any sweeteners but it is my preference to do so in my ceremonies to take the edge off. Sweeten to your preference but know that ceremonial cacao is not typically sweet and had a strong and slightly bitter taste to it
- Pinch of Cinnamon. A little goes a long way. Nutmeg, turmeric, and ginger are also good to add. Feel free to be creative here and spice up to your preference
- Tsp (or Tbl) Pure Vanilla Extract based on your preference and is optional as well
- As you sip be present with the experience and enjoy the moments
I hope you have a gorgeous experience with this sacred libation and don’t forget that everything done with intention is a magickal act.
- If you wish to join me inside the studio to experience my beautiful in-person ceremonies visit my Calendar Of Events Tab.
- Also, consider my amazing 3-Level program, Mystic Sister Soul School For The Magickal.